[The Brazil Times nameplate] Light Rain Fog/Mist ~ 51°F  
High: 58°F ~ Low: 44°F
Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Indiana in Brief

Friday, June 22, 2012

* Man convicted for 26-year-old murder

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- A jury has convicted a 69-year-old prison inmate of murder in the death of an Indianapolis girl 26 years ago.

Paul Reese Sr., of Indianapolis, is due to be sentenced July 18. He's currently in prison for burglary.

Reese was arrested shortly after 13-year-old Dawn Stuard was found strangled in 1986 but never tried until now.

He was charged last year after investigators said new DNA evidence proved blood found in his basement belonged to the girl.

Reese's lawyer, Michelle Wall, said in her closing argument that the state failed to prove he committed the murder.

She said others in his home on the day of the crime could have done it.

One of Reese's sons is imprisoned for the attempted murder of an Indianapolis police officer in 2008.

* Pool closed; eight still hospitalized

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- An Indianapolis parks spokeswoman says a pool where a chemical reaction caused 71 people to become ill will remain closed temporarily despite health officials clearing it to reopen.

Spokeswoman Jen Pittman told The Indianapolis Star on Friday the pool will stay closed pending a formal report on an inspection by the Marion County Health Department.

Health Department spokesman John Althardt says the agency found no mechanical problems and hasn't been able to determine a cause for Thursday's incident at the Garfield Park pool.

WISH-TV reports a pool employee remained hospitalized and hasn't been able to speak to investigators.

A spokesman for Riley Hospital for Children says seven others remain hospitalized there but several were likely to be released Friday.

News reports say all others who went to hospitals were released.

* AG ties $6 million for fair victims

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Attorney General Greg Zoeller is linking an extra $6 million for victims of the Indiana State Fair stage collapse to a settlement offer from two of the companies involved.

Zoeller said Friday that to get some of the additional $6 million the state is offering, victims need to agree to clear Mid America Sound and J. Thomas Engineering of any wrongdoing. In return, they also would get a portion of $7.2 million the companies are offering.

Zoeller says the offer expires July 13.

Attorney Kenneth J. Allen says Zoeller's plan seems like a "payoff" to protect the companies. Allen represents the families of three people who died in the stage collapse last August and others who were injured.



Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: