Along with great outdoor cooking comes the abundance of fresh produce, either from grocery stores, our gardens or farmer's markets.
Think color -- all the colors of the rainbow.
These colors in fruits and vegetables give a wide spectrum of vitamins and plant compounds called phytochemicals.
Phytochemicals are naturally occurring plant compounds that provide health-promoting abilities.
For the most health benefits, summer and year-round, consume a wide variety of fruits and vegetables in a spectrum of colors each day.
Fireworks Cole Slaw
* Two cups shredded cabbage,
* One-and-a-half cups shredded Chinese cabbage,
* One-fourth cup water,
* Three tablespoons sugar,
* One tablespoon vegetable oil,
* One or two tablespoons of crushed red pepper,
* One medium carrot, shredded,
* One small sweet red pepper, cut into julienne strips,
* One-fourth cup diagonally sliced green onions,
* Three tablespoons minced fresh parsley,
* One-fourth cup rice vinegar,
* One-fourth teaspoon salt, and
* One-fourth teaspoon freshly ground pepper.
Combine cabbage in a large bowl. Toss well, set aside. Combine water, sugar, vegetable oil and crushed red pepper in a small saucepan. Stir well to combine.
Bring to a boil, stirring well. Pour mixture over cabbage mixture. Toss well.
Add carrot, sweet red pepper, green onions, minced parsley, rice vinegar, salt and freshly ground pepper, tossing gently to combine.
Cover and chill thoroughly.
Yield: Six servings (78 calories per one-half cup serving).
Source: Purdue Extension Health and Human Sciences; USDA Fact Sheets accessed from: fsis usda.gov/FactSheets.
You can call us at the Purdue Extension Offices in Clay and Owen counties for more information or to talk about other issues that affect your home and family.
Your Health and Human Sciences Extension Educator specializes in information related to "Families, Food, Finances, Fitness and Health."
The number in Clay County is 448-9041. The number in Owen County is 812-829-5020.
There is an Indiana Extension Homemaker club near you.
Purdue Extension is an affirmative action/equal opportunity institution.