[The Brazil Times nameplate] Fair ~ 36°F  
Frost Advisory
Thursday, Oct. 23, 2014

Residents evacuated following gas leak

Sunday, July 1, 2012

(Photo)
A handful of residents in Brazil received a scare Saturday morning due to a gas line rupture.

According to Brazil Police Chief Clint McQueen, as the last competitors in the YMCA of Clay County Firecracker run were completing Saturday morning, officials -- who were already in the area -- were notified of a ruptured gas line in a home near Church and Kruzan streets.

McQueen said officers immediately notified residents in the surrounding area to leave their homes for precautionary reasons.

He added some businesses in the immediate were notified to leave the area as well.

Officers made arrangements for residents to take shelter in the YMCA of Clay County. Officials with the Y said two families did.

"(Officials) with the YMCA were great," McQueen said. "They were more than willing to help us out."

The situation was taken care of rather quickly, as residents returned to their homes within the hour after officials with Vectren Gas fixed the leak.



Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration. If you already have an account on this site, enter your username and password below. Otherwise, click here to register.

Username:

Password:  (Forgot your password?)

Your comments:
Please be respectful of others and try to stay on topic.