Resolution No. 4-2012 recognizes Mark Underwood, Chandler Reeves, Mitchell Thomas and KJ Thomas as ambassadors for the community. The Northview students are taking a trip to England to play in the 2012 GotSoccer International Cup. The soccer players will get to attend the 2012 Olympics, sightsee and attend practice with professional soccer players. They plan to leave July 19.
"We are very fortunate for our young people in this community," Commissioner President Charlie Brown said, after the resolution was read, stating the teens are, "outstanding soccer players and leaders at Northview High School."
Resolution No. 5-2012 recognizes Chance Talbot in representing Clay County in the Down Under Sports Tournament, which will take place in Australia. The resolution stated that the commissioners wish him continued success.
"We're so proud of these young people," Brown said.
In addition, Commissioner Paul Sinders discussed an upcoming project by the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) office.
Sinders said the office had money available to investigate dangerous areas and found County Road 1300 to be unsafe.
"Underneath, there are many shafts that are 8-feet that have nothing in it but empty space," Sinders said. "What they are going to be doing is drilling approximately 90 holes to an average depth of around 25-feet, and they are going to place fly ash and cement gravel mixture filling a mine seem 8-feet thick."
The county would have no responsibility other than approving the procedure. There will be no cost to the county, and the DNR office will asphalt the road when it is completed.
The road will have to be closed until the project is complete. Sinders said he thought the project would begin in September. The commissioners approved the project.
In other news, the commissioners:
* Accepted two EMA grant agreements including a matching salary grant and a 2011 Homeland Security program,
* Learned the Lewis Township Fire Board recently had a letter of decline from a potential board member, leaving a vacancy on the board. The commissioners approved Brad Ferree to fill the 4-year position on the board,
* Sinders said the smoking ban is now in effect in Indiana. He updated the commissioners by saying the signs that are required to be posted at entrances to buildings have all been delivered to county buildings,
* Plan to make sure all county employees have hard copies of the nepotism ordinance,
* Approved a computer system service agreement with Computer Systems Incorporated (CSI), and
* Approved the Clay County WIC Sub Grantee agreement, and will create a new fund for existing money to pay for a peer counselor.
The commissioners meet regularly on the first Monday of each month in the Clay County Courthouse Commissioners Courtroom. Their next meeting is scheduled for 9 a.m., Monday, Aug. 6.