WEST LAFAYETTE -- The following local students earned academic honors at Purdue University for the spring 2012 semester:
* Darla Thompson, Brazil,
* Summer Wagner-Walker, Brazil,
* Oakley Campbell, Center Point,
* Daniel Walton, Clay City,
* Whitney Ames, Clay City,
* Alexis Shidler, Lewis,
* Zachary Babyak, Mecca,
* Joy Trendelman, Rosedale,
* Daniel Stevens, Jasonville,
* Austin Bingham, Jasonville,
* Micajah Green, Jasonville,
* Sarah Arnac, Jasonville, and
* Abby Sweet, Jasonville.
To earn honors, students must have had at least a 3.5 semester or cumulative grade-point average on a 4.0 scale.
Purdue University is known for its science, technology, engineering and math programs.
The Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology
TERRE HAUTE -- The Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology conferred 417 degrees during the college's 134th commencement exercise.
Rose-Hulman is a private engineering, science and mathematics college with an undergraduate enrollment of 1,900 students. For 13 consecutive years, Rose-Hulman has been ranked the number one engineering college in the nation among schools whose highest engineering degree offered is a bachelor's or master's. The ranking is based on an annual U.S. News and World Report survey.
Ninety-three percent of Rose-Hulman's 2012 graduates have already accepted job offers, commissions as officers in the military, or been accepted by the graduate school of their choice. The average starting salary for this year's graduates is $64,300.
The following students from the Clay County area earned degrees during the 2011-2012 academic year:
* Jordan Maurer, Brazil, earned a Bachelor of Science in mechanical engineering. Jordan is the son of Steve and Kelly Maurer. His future plans include working as a service engineer at Cummins Incorporated,
*Andrew Nicoson, Clay City, earned a Bachelor of Science in civil engineering. Andrew is the son of Theodore Nicoson and Jennifer Flater. His future plans include working at INDOT, and
* Nebula Schultz, Brazil, earned a Bachelor of Science in mechanical engineering. Nebula is the daughter of Charles Schultz and Vielka Schultz. Her future plans are to continue school in the graduate program of Rose-Hulman.
Ball State University
Ball State University recently announced the following students made the dean's list for spring semester 2012:
* Jessica Booker, Brazil,
* Eric Fults, Brazil, and
* Colleen Wiley, Clay City.
Ball State University also recently announced the following students graduated spring semester 2012:
* Kyle Hayes, Bachelor of Arts (cum laude), Brazil,
* Jason Buescher, Bachelor of General Studies, Brazil, and
* Jessica Booker (magna cum laude), Brazil.