Times Staff Reporter
The Northview boys' and girls' cross country teams swept Tuesday's three-way meet at Craig Park, defeating visiting Clay City and West Vigo.
The Northview boys finished with a team total of 24 to take first, while Clay City tallied 48 and West Vigo 52.
The Knights were powered to victory by first-and-second place finishers Nic Yocom (17:28) and Cam Trout (17:54).
Boys' coach Chad Smith said he felt his team was moving in the right direction.
"We're trying to move up our two, three, four and five (runners) closer to Nic (Yocom) ... and I think we did that today," Smith said. "Nic didn't run quite as fast as he's normally run -- but he's run hard all year. I was impressed with our three, four and five runners moving up a little bit today, which is something we're going to have to do to contend at the conference (and sectionals) meets."
West Vigo's Jonah Eckert placed third, with a time of 18:17, while Clay City's Parker Ames (18:20) and Blake Cochran (18:30) rounded out the top five.
Clay City's coach Cole Schroer said he liked that his team is continuing to improve each week.
"We're improving every week so that's what we're looking for," Schroer said. "We've kind of been trying to train through most of this season. We have a really young team and we're trying to get them up to where we can make it out of sectionals again."
Schroer said the goal was to continue Clay City's winning ways and extend the streak of making it out of sectionals for approximately the last 15 years.
"We're really gearing up for (sectionals), but it's awesome to see them improving every week," Schroer said. "They're improving by like 20 and 30 seconds. They're really doing well -- they're really putting in the work and it's paying off."
The Knights also got strong performances from Ian Heffner at sixth-place with an 18:48, Josh Johnson at seventh-place with an 18:49 and Travis Beil at eighth-place with an 18:53.
The Northview girls' squad finished first with a team score of 30, followed by West Vigo with 41 and Clay City with 51.
Clay City's Kelsey Wright claimed the top spot with a time of 21:31, while Northview's Ashley Kidwell (22:13) and West Vigo's Acetha Tolerson (22:23) finished second and third respectively.
Northview's coach Rexanne Laue said she got a good team effort from her squad and added her second place finisher had a great day.
"Ashley Kidwell came in second and had a personal best for this course ... she was 30-seconds faster than she was here last week," Laue said. "I think the girls did real well tonight. It was good weather, so the weather had a big impact. They knew that Clay City had (Kelsey Wright), so they were trying really hard to stay as close as they could to her and not let her get too far ahead."
The Knights also placed Emily Conrad at fourth with a 22:50, Hannah Zadeii (23:42) and Leanna Knight (24:04) finished sixth and seventh respectively.
Clay City also placed Ashley Reach at 10th, with a time of 25:14.
Eel's coach Elissa Downey said she was proud of the way her team performed.
"I'm pretty proud of them, all of them got personal bests," Downey said. "Kelsey Wright (got first place) and her goal was to run in the 21's and she got 21:30, which is her personal best. We all did pretty good -- we had good times."
Boy's team scores:
Northview 24, Clay City 48, West Vigo 52.
1. Nic Yocom (Nv) 17:28, 2. Cam Trout (Nv) 17:54, 3. Jonah Eckert (WV) 18:17, 4. Parker Ames (CC) 18:20, 5. Blake Cochran (CC) 18:30, 6. Ian Heffner (Nv) 18:48, 7. Josh Johnson (Nv) 18:49, 8. Travis Beil (Nv) 18:53, 9. Derek Braun (WV) 19:10, 10. Paiden Myers (CC) 19:16.
14. Devin McCollum 20:02, 15. Skyler Aguilar 20:17, 16. Ben Harbison 20:23, 18. Dawson Nelson 20:29, 19. Christian Herron 20:30.
Other Clay City:
12. Michael Brooks 19:18, 20. John Hyatt 20:34, 21. Travis Stauch 20:45, 22. Evan Rogers 20:48, 28. Josh Miller 24:12, 29. Jordan Prindiville 26:26.
Girls team scores:
Northview 30, West Vigo 41, Clay City 51.
1. Kelsey Wright (CC) 21:31, 2. Ashley Kidwell (Nv) 22:13, 3. Acetha Tolerson (WV) 22:23, 4. Emily Conrad (Nv) 22:50, 5. Taylor Bunch (WV) 23:08, 6. Hannah Zadeii (Nv) 23:42, 7. Leanna Knight (Nv) 24:04, 8. Shaelynn White (WV) 24:15, 9. Shelby Sparks (WV) 24:42, 10. Ashley Reach (CC) 25:14.
11. Eileen Stinnett 25:35, 14. Josie Stakeman 25:59, 17. Maegan Pillman 27:42, 18. Taylor Simmons 29:05, 20. Carrie Duregger 29:38.
Other Clay City:
12. Kayla Sinders 25:53, 13. Kiara Skaggs 25:58, 15. Kiersten Mann 26:28, 19. Krista Sinders 29:07.