At approximately 7:30 a.m., Thursday, officials were dispatched to 520 N. Leavitt St., Brazil, for the fire.
Upon arrival, firefighters with the Brazil Fire Department found the fire had affected a home and an apartment next to the home.
The apartment had previously been a garage for the home.
"The fire started in an addition to the house between the garage and the house," Brazil Fire Chief Jake Bennett said. "It was originally a sun room, which had been closed off. Now, the room was being used for storage and a hobby area.
"It looked like (the first) had a low point of origin in that room."
Bennett speculated the fire may have been electric-related after talking with the homeowner, who said there had been problems with "breakers tripping."
"(The fire) spread into a bedroom in the house, and once it got some air to it and got outside the sun room area, it spread onto the roof and into the garage, which is now an apartment," Bennett said. "It got to the attic space of that apartment."
The owner of the home, Tim Tryon, was not at home when the fire started.
Neither were the occupants of the apartment.
Floyd Hamblin, whose family lives in the apartment, said he and his fiance were on their way to Mansfield Thursday morning when he received a phone call regarding the fire.
Firefighters managed to contain the fire by 8:30 a.m. However, there were still a few hot spots to keep an eye on.
Bennett called both structures "unlivable" at the present time. He said the American Red Cross Wabash Valley Chapter had been notified and agents from the organization were making arrangements for both Hamblin and his family and Tryon.
Other agencies responding to the scene included the Brazil Police Department and TransCare.