PARKE COUNTY -- The Indiana General Assembly offers students between 13-18-years-old the opportunity to serve as a page during each legislative session.
This year, Indiana's electric cooperatives have teamed up with the Indiana House of Representatives Page Office to reserve all 42 openings for REMC Day March 7.
Students are excused from school and take part in a day that features the legislature in action, a tour of the Governor's office and Statehouse, and the opportunity to meet and have their picture taken with their State Representative.
"This is an excellent opportunity for Parke County REMC to encourage our students to learn first-hand the work our legislators do for us in Indianapolis," Parke County REMC CEO Greg Ternet said. "We are always excited to engage our community through our youth programs, and we are glad to promote such a quality experience for students."
To apply, students must be available March 7 and have reliable transportation to and from the Indiana Statehouse that day.
The following are steps that must be completed to submit an application:
* Go to District.IGA.IN.gov to find your state representative,
* Head to www.IN.gov/legislative and select House Republicans or House Democrats reflecting the party of your representative,
* Select the student services/opportunities tab at the top of the page to begin the page application,
* Make sure to select March 7, 2013, for both the first and second choices of date,
* Complete the application by inserting "REMC Day" into the "Special Arrangements/Requirements" box, and
* Submit the application.
The Page Office will confirm applications on a first-come, first-serve basis.