UPDATED: Family loses home to fire on Wednesday

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Postal carrier alerts family to danger

Emergency assistance has been requested for a Brazil family who lost their home to fire on Wednesday.

Brazil Fire Chief Jake Bennett said the American Red Cross has been contacted for the family of 10 living inside the large home at 703 S. Walnut St. in Brazil.

"It's a total loss," Bennett said. "All of their belongings in the home are all damaged beyond any type of repair."

The fire was first reported at 12:17 p.m. after a postal carrier alerted the five residents, including three children, inside the home about smoke coming from the eaves. All exited the home without injury, Bennett said.

"The fire began in the attic and it spread quickly," said Bennett, adding the wind didn't help fire-fighting efforts.

Bennett said the older 2,400-square-foot home had walls open from the attic space down to the floor. He said that balloon-frame construction allowed the fire to spread more quickly down the walls.

"We were in there fighting the interior for awhile, making some headway, but (the fire) got into spots we could not get to and it went quick," he said.

Bennett said there was nothing suspicious about the fire.

Frank Phillips photo. Smoke from burning house can be seen from blocks away.

As fire-fighting efforts were under way, Bennett asked residents to avoid the area and those in range of the smoke to keep their windows and doors closed.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: