Last week our latest edition of the results section for the Clay County 4-H Fair was published. More copies are available at our office if you missed yours.
I want to thank Ashley Evinger for her hard work in collecting the results. All but two categories of results made it into the special section. Those two categories were published the same day in the A section of The Brazil Times because Ashley couldn’t get them to us by the early deadline required for B sections of the paper. That wasn’t her fault. We are just glad we were able to publish the results along with a lot of photos this year. I think we published more photos from the fair this year than we have for many years. Another thank you goes to Steven King and Carey Fox.
Steven and his wife, the Rev. Sarah King, moved here from Arizona a few years ago. She approached me during an interview and asked if we could use Steven’s photos. I explained that, like a lot of local businesses, we have to watch our expenses closely and there is no money in the budget this year for a staff photographer. However, many of you good folks send us pictures taken around the community and we are happy to publish them and give you credit when we know who submitted the photos. I told Sarah we would be happy to publish Steven’s pictures on the same basis.
When I met Steven, I soon learned we were of kindred spirits with a love of journalism. He said he really didn’t want to be paid but he wanted a reason to get out of the house once in a while.
Steven has done a tremendous job photographing graduations at Northview and Clay City high schools. He also did a great job enduring the hot weather during the 4-H Fair. I’m sure you, our readers, appreciate his efforts, too.
• ¨• •
A little bird told me ...
Bob Chrisman saved an apartment complex and possibly lives last week.
We were told he was working on his car when he saw smoke coming from the apartment complex where he lives in Brazil. Without taking time to think about the danger, he ran inside, found the fire in someone else’s apartment and put it out before the fire department arrived.
Such action is probably not recommended due to the danger to someone who takes it upon themselves to extinguish a blaze. We are often told to call 911 and get out of the building but you have to admire Bob’s quick decision, which undoubtedly saved thousands of dollars for the property owner.
Bob doesn’t know I’m publishing this. Look him up on Facebook or shake his hand when you see him. Most mornings he can be found leading the pickleball players at the YMCA.