Campbell Daugherty, son of John and Isabel Campbell Daugherty, married Delilah Eller on August 23, 1848, in Ohio. Campbell, a blacksmith by trade, came to Indiana in 1867 to carry on his trade. In 1875, he operated the livery stable on Main Street. Campbell’s advertisement stated he had “Good rigs, Safe teams, and Reasonable prices.” Also, he advertised “a market for good stock at the highest cash price.” By 1876 he was running Daugherty and Son at Meridian and Depot Streets, as well as, Daugherty & Company at Main Street of Brazil. Lawrence Cagle was the stable boss at the Meridian Street location, where the building was also used for the Daughtery Livery and Undertaking barn.
March 1874, Campbell shipped seventeen head of horses from Brazil to Bucks County, Pennsylvania. The horses were described as ”finest horses as ever left Clay County.” As was reported January 1879, Mr. Campbell Daugherty sold horses in Atlanta, Georgia.
In February 1876, the sound of “fire, fire, fire” was heard on a Saturday night! The fire started in the loft of Campbell’s business on East Main Street. The fire spread so rapidly that it was absolutely impossible to get all the horses out, and three of the fourteen had to be abandoned to the flames. All the rolling stock and nearly all the harness, saddles, and other valuables in the barn were saved. The grocery store of John W. Morrison suffered considerable loss. The Parlor Billiard Salon adjoining on the west was totally destroyed; they did manage to save the contents. The Phoenix Salon on the east, belonging to Peter Ingoldsby, was separated from the main building by a twelve-foot alley; it was partially consumed, but the stock and fixtures were removed. The warehouse of Stewart & Jarboe, was partially destroyed along with valuable goods inside. The front part of their building was mostly cleared of its contents, which were piled in heaps in the street until they could be moved to a place of safety. Mr. H. C. Wallace managed to get his goods out, but in the end, his building was not damaged. The barn of Mrs. Lambert, located immediately south and twelve feet distant from the Livery Barn, was consumed.
Campbell eventually sold his interest to his son, John H. Daugherty. In 1887 Mr. Daugherty began the erection of a brick livery stable to supplant his frame stable. It was there that some of the boys around Brazil recalled that they used to head to Daugherty’s on the last day of school. For a dime they could get a haircut known later as a G. I. or Burr haircut. Fred Norton, Dee Funkhauser, and Edgar Stamper were referred to as “horse mechanics” because they used the horse clippers on the boys.
John’s livery barn had a large number of good horses and many fine vehicles of various descriptions. In connection with his father, John dealt in stock, buying and selling many fine horses and mules.
Campbell became active again in the horse business in Illinois. A week prior to his death, Campbell had been in St. Louis with a load of horses. While there he contracted a cold, which developed into pneumonia. Campbell Daugherty died at his home in Newton, Illinois, of pneumonia on April 20, 1891. Married twice, Campbell was the father to three children with his wife, Delilah, and two children from his second wife, Eliza Davis.
Sources: The Brazil Democrat April 23, 1891; Brazil Saturday Evening Echo: March 19, 1874; Brazil Manufacturer Feb. 24, 1876; Brazil Weekly Echo Dec. 09, 1875.
Submitted by: Rhonda Tincher, Clay County Genealogy Society, Center Point, Indiana