BREAKING: Threatening letter claiming to contain anthrax sent to religious publication in Brazil

Friday, December 18, 2015 ~ Updated 9:49 PM

Authorities hope to track down who sent a threatening letter to the offices of a Brazil-based religious publication on Friday that contained a substance the letter's author claimed to be anthrax.

Initial on-scene testing of the substance found that it was not the deadly bacterial disease; however, final testing still must be done, officials say.

"We do hope the substance is fake, and every indication says that from the professionals who did the initial testing on it," Brazil Police Chief Clint McQueen said.

Local, county and state police, along with fire, emergency management and hazmat teams converged on Herald of His Coming on East Mechanic Street in Brazil after receiving a call from the ministry's office around 3:30 p.m.

McQueen said a person there reported opening the mail and receiving the threatening letter that read, "If you're reading this, you're dead." It also referenced the substance inside was anthrax.

"Obviously, we feel they are targeted since it came directly to them," McQueen said. "We will continue to investigate and try and track it down to where it came from. Hopefully we can find the person who did this and they can answer for what they've done."

McQueen said three individuals were in close proximity to the letter; two of them touched it. He was unsure if any of them had sought medical evaluation.

He did say authorities were on scene quickly and secured the area. He said his department was joined by multiple local and state agencies, including state hazardous material investigators. Investigators with the FBI and United States Postal Service were also summoned.

"The hazmat team had some capabilities and resources to do on-scene testing (of the alleged anthrax), which resulted negative at the scene," said McQueen, adding the letter and substance were sent to a lab in Indianapolis for further testing. "We will probably know that result tomorrow and notify the persons who were around that substance."

Some responders were still on scene four hours after the initial call.

"We appreciate all of the assistance," McQueen said.

View 1 comment
Note: The nature of the Internet makes it impractical for our staff to review every comment. Please note that those who post comments on this website may do so using a screen name, which may or may not reflect a website user's actual name. Readers should be careful not to assign comments to real people who may have names similar to screen names. Refrain from obscenity in your comments, and to keep discussions civil, don't say anything in a way your grandmother would be ashamed to read.
  • Sick

    -- Posted by Bzlobserver on Mon, Dec 21, 2015, at 2:13 PM
Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: