Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Any Indiana resident who is 15 years of age or older and has an identification card or driverís License with an MDC - Class B endorsement, is eligible. An MDC - Class B endorsement is obtained by successfully completing the MDC - Class B endorsement written exam.

This is only necessary if you do not hold a valid Indiana learnerís permit or driverís license. A helmet is required if the driver is under 18 years of age. (Indiana Code 9-21-11-12), (IC 9-21-11-13).

Under the law MDCs are classified into two categories -- Class A and Class B.

Class A vehicles are designed to exceed 35 mph or have engines 50 cc or greater. To register a Class A vehicle, motorists must have a driverís license with a motorcycle endorsement and proof of ownership and insurance, according to the BMV website.

Class B vehicles are those that can travel a maximum of 35 mph but at least 15 mph, and, unlike Class A, a motorist does not need insurance.

Before riding or purchasing one of these vehicles, check local and state laws regarding fees and conditions.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: